Thursday, February 14, 2013

Eustis House Squatter with Foster Child

Well today I get a rush job to serve an alias eviction summons.  Respondents allegedly trashed my clients rental house in Black Bear that they were renting.   They left that house and moved into a vacant house just around the corner.  I attempted service today at the newly occupied squatter house.  The TV was on and the car (red mitsubishi florida tag PBP6Z) was in the driveway.  Windows were carefully covered up with cloth to block visibility into the house.  This service was now escalated to service evasion. I contacted my client who was on the way to Eustis from North Carolina.  I advised him that this was going to require a process server to sit at the house round the clock.  He gave me the okay to do it.   In the process of our discussion, my client revealed that the respondents had a foster child.  I immediately called the DCF hotline and gave them the info about a foster child living in a squatters home.   The foster child was hear say and I indicated that to the girl from DCF.  I provided SSN, DOB and names of respondents.  DCF asked for the new address.  But I refused to give it to them unless I was going to be with them when they knocked on the door.  DCF said that they would have a case worker come to my house, if the allegations of a foster child involvement were true, and would accompany me to the squatters house.   So I am waiting to hear from DCF.  If the foster child involvement is true, I will have succeeded in serving this alias summons without undue time and costs.

Update:

I waited outside the house at 6:15 A.M the next morning for two hours.  A rather sizable pile of garbage was picked up by the garbage man.  There were no cars in the driveway and no lights in the house were illuminated.  I thought I might catch them going to work.   But it appears they had already left.  Although their were no cars in the driveway, it was possible that they were in the garage.  I came back later in the afternoon and met with my client to knock on the door.   Upon arriving at the door I saw that the curtains had been removed that were there the preceding day to block peering eyes into the house.  Now it was clear that the house was completely vacant.  Truck tire tracks in the dirt at the front door were a clear indication of a quick move during the night.  So, even though the DCF was aware of these people, it appears that they have eluded me for the time being.  DCF will no doubt investigate this matter and in all probability have already arranged to confiscate the foster children in their care.  I asked DCF for some cooperation in their whereabouts since I gave them a boatload of information. They did not offer me any encouragement in a mutual cooperation agreement.


No comments:

Post a Comment